Someone on Twitter recently asked me how I got started and wanted my advice. So here are some things that any aspiring makeup artist should know. Sorry to get this post out so late. I hope it helps you out.
1. Practice on your friends and family or stranger’s. Take before and after pictures. You need to practice on both young and old.
2. If you can afford makeup artist classes then definitely invest. I at the time couldn’t so I watched YouTube videos and practiced. I also learned from books.
3. Build your makeup artist kit with palettes for eyeshadow, blush, lipstick, contour. Highlight, primers, skincare, color correctors etc…
4. Learn the color wheel this will help you with mixing colors for a client. Complementary colors cancel out each other. For example if a client has redness then a green color corrector will even it out.
5. Learn the different face shapes and what looks will be best for each face shape.
6. Build a professional portfolio join ModelMayhem.com or purpleport.com and network with the other photographers, models and other makeup artist in your area
7. Purchase business cards or make your own if you’re good with graphic design
8. Start building your website and have it where clients can book your services online
9. Make sure you don’t need a cosmetology or esteician license in your area to do makeup
10. Get a lawyer to help you draw up contracts especially if you’re doing bridal makeup. This will help you in case a client has a reaction to any products used.